by Tarla Dalal
Added to 358 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 208697 times
Convenient to serve and richer in flavour, here we present the famous Rajasthani churma in ladoo form! Traditional churma, sweetened with jaggery and enhanced with coconut and sesame seeds, is shaped into ladoos that are easy to store and serve. In order to get the best texture and flavour, use coarsely ground wheat flour, and when frying the balls of dough make sure you remove them from the oil when they are fully cooked from inside and golden brown in colour. Do not let them redden, or the flavour will change.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the coconut and sesame seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Combine the whole wheat flour and ½ cup of water in a deep bowl and knead into a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into the shape of your fist and press with your fingers in the centre of each portion to make an indentation.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry 4 dough portions at a time, on a medium flame for 20 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and allow them to cool.
- Repeat step 4 to deep-fry 4 more dough portions.
- Once cooled, break them into small pieces and blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tbsp of ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the jaggery and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep the churma aside.
- Combine the churma, coconut-sesame seeds mixture, melted jaggery and milk in a deep bowl and mix very well. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and shape each portion into a round ball and roll in the poppy seeds till they are evenly coated from all the sides.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.