Added to 117 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 186227 times
petha recipe | petha sweet | Agra petha | dry petha - Indian sweet | with step by step images.
petha is a special north Indian mithai that is especially famous in some regions like Agra and Mathura. Learn how to make dry petha - Indian sweet.
To make petha, prick the ash gourd cubes, combine with slaked lime and enough water and keep aside overnight. Next day drain in running water. Then cook ash gourd cubes in water and powdered alum mixture for 10 minutes. Again drain and keep aside. Then make sugar syrup and add ash gourd pieces in it and cook for 5 minutes. Cover and keep for 5 minutes. Thereafter keep cook and strain it as per the steps given. Finally roll it in powdered sugar to get the perfect petha.
The moment you have a look at the ingredients list you will realise that this Agra petha is very unlike other sweets you might have cooked or tasted before. Simply put, the Petha is a sweetened cube of ash gourd, but the use of ingredients like lime and alum, as well as the special preparation procedure, give it an off-beat texture that is crisp, juicy, chewy and kind of melt-in-the-mouth too!
It is quite difficult to explain the fabulous experience, which has to be tried first-hand to understand. The petha can be stored in the refrigerator for a few weeks, so you can comfortably make a large batch and enjoy it whenever you wish. The Rajasthanis especially like to pop a petha into their mouth after meals, so you could try doing that too.
Tips for making Petha. 1. Cleaning of ash gourd in the initial stage while it is soaked in alum is very important. 2. Make sure to maintain the consisitency of the sugar syrup. 3. Drain the petha very well before coating with powdered sugar.
Also check out the petha variants - Petha Paan and Angoori Petha.
Enjoy petha recipe | petha sweet | Agra petha | dry petha - Indian sweet | with step by step photos.
- Prick each ash gourd cube with a fork at close intervals.
- Combine the slaked lime with enough water in a deep bowl and mix well till it dissolves completely.
- Add the pricked ash gourd and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside overnight.
- Next day, drain and wash the ash gourd thoroughly under running water and keep aside.
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add the powdered alum and mix well till it dissolves completely.
- Add the ash gourd, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Drain well and again wash the ash gourd thoroughly under running water. Keep aside.
- Combine the sugar and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes or till the sugar dissolves completely, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the ash gourd, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 24 hours.
- Strain the ash gourd in a deep bowl and keep the sugar water aside.
- Transfer the sugar water into a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the ash gourd and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 24 hours.
- Repeat step 11 to 13 for next 2 days.
- On the 4th day, again strain the ash gourd in a deep bowl and keep the sugar water aside.
- Transfer the sugar water into a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the kewda essence and mix well.
- Add the ash gourd and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, cook the ash gourd along with the remaining sugar syrup on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Strain the excess sugar syrup using a strainer and discard it.
- Once the ash gourd is completely drained, roll each cube in the powdered sugar. Drain the excess sugar using a sieve.
- Repeat step 21 once again with the ash gourd.
- Place the ash gourd cubes on a perforated plate at regular intervals and allow it to dry overnight or till firm.
- Serve or store refrigerated in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.