· In India, it is used to prepare a traditional sweet called Petha. It is pieces of gourd cooked in sugar syrup and then dried to allow hardening. It is a delicacy in Agra. You need good quality and ripe ash gourd for this recipe.
· In South India, it is used in various ways. Use it with dal to make Kootu, or add along with other vegetables in Sambhar, Avial etc.
· Use in making winter melon soup, juices or stir fries of your choice.
How to store ash gourd, winter melon, winter gourd, wax gourd, white gourd, safed kaddu
Store it under refrigerated conditions. If a part of the fruit is cut, cover with newspaper and then store.
Health benefits of ash gourd, winter melon, winter gourd, wax gourd, white gourd, safed kaddu
· Ash gourd consists of substantial amount of moisture and a little amount of protein, fat, fiber and carbohydrates. Its mineral and vitamin contents are calcium, iron, phosphorus, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and vitamin C.
· Due to its diuretic action, it increases the output of urine and washes out waste products from the body.
· Ash gourd juice when combined with water can be given to people who have peptic ulcers.
· Cooked and sweetened ash gourd can help people suffering from heart ailments, anemia, body heat etc.
· Being low in calories, it is helpful for people maintaining a diet and people suffering from diabetes.
· Husked seeds of ash gourd when consumed with coconut milk can help eject tapeworms etc from the intestine.