Jowar and Vegetable Porridge
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 117 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 57033 times
If you're bored of the regular breakfast dishes, try this new healthy recipe made using jowar. Jowar is a nutritious cereal with plenty of protein, iron and fibre. The vegetables improve its vitamin A, fibre, folic acid and iron. This vegetable porridge accompanied by a fruit is sure to keep you satiated till lunch and prevent you from bingeing on unhealthy mid-morning snacks like biscuits, nuts,chips etc.
- Combine the powdered jowar, salt with 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the mixed vegetables and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked jowar mixture, 1½ cups of water and salt, mix well and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Top with the tomato, onion and coriander and serve immediately.
- To get ½ cup of coarsely ground jowar, grind ½ cup of jowar in a mixer to a coarse powder.
- If the porridge becomes too thick while serving, adjust its consistency by some adding some water.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy||Protein||Carbohydrates||Fat||Vitamin A||Folic acid||Iron||Fibre|
| 102 calories|| 3.3 gm|| 18.5 gm|| 1.7 gm|| 251.0 mcg|| 24.7 mg|| 1.3 mg|| 2.5 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.