Last Updated : Apr 02,2020
Viewed 39560 times
Yeast is a single-celled fungus (a living organism) that exists in many forms. It converts sugar and starch into carbon dioxide bubbles and alcohol, which makes it useful in the production of bread, beer, and wine. In the context of baking, it produces carbon dioxide when mixed with warm water, flour, salt and/or sugar, which causes the dough to expand resulting in a soft and spongy product.
Instant dry yeast
Instant yeast is available in small granules and acts similar to dry yeast. Since, it is milled into finer particles, they dissolve faster and activate rapidly. There is no need to proof them and it can be directly added to the dry ingredients(flour). Store it in a cool dry place, or in the refrigerator once you have opened the package. Check the expiry date before using.
How to Select
• Dry yeast is readily available in markets.
• It comes in envelopes, jars or bulk.
• It may be regular or quick rising.
• Quick rising will take only half the time for rising.
• Please note that when buying yeast, the date of expiry should be strictly followed.
• Fresh yeast is very perishable and it recommended only for experts – it will last only for one week.
• Bread is made with baker's yeast, which creates lots of bubbles that become trapped in the dough, causing the bread to rise and become light and airy when baked.
• A small amount of alcohol is also produced, but this burns off as the bread bakes.
• Beer yeast and wine yeast are used to convert sugar into alcohol and, in the case of beer and champagne, bubbles too.
How to Store
• Always store in a cool, dry place, preferably the refrigerator (a must for fresh yeast), but bring to room temperature before using.
• Fresh yeast is extremely perishable and should be used within 1-2 weeks or date on package.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.