Sannas Recipe, Goan Steamed Rice Bread
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4465 times
Sannas, a famous Goan delicacy, is a steamed rice cake that has a soft texture and pleasant flavour. The unique batter, made of rice, coconut and yeast, yields an amazing rice cake with a lovely taste.
Traditionally, toddy is used for fermenting this, but we have used yeast instead as it is easily available and acceptable to all.
You can enjoy it for lunch or dinner with any spicy Curry of your choice.
You can consider serving it with Potatoes in Goanese Gravy or Bread Kofta Curry .
- Clean, wash and soak the rice in a deep bowl overnight in enough water. Next day drain the water completely using a strainer. Keep aside.
- Combine the yeast, ½ tbsp sugar and 3 tbsp warm water in a deep bowl, mix well and cover it with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Combine the soaked rice, coconut, remaining 1½ tbsp of sugar and 1¼ cups of water in a mixer and blend it till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the yeast sugar mixture and salt and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 2 hours for fermenting.
- Once fermented, mix well.
- Place 7 greased sanna moulds or small steel vati and pour the batter till ¾ of the moulds and steam in a steamer on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool slightly, loosen the edges with the knife and demould it.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 to make 7 more sannas.
- Serve hot with a curry of your choice.
Nutrient values per sanna
|Vitamin A||0 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.