Onion and Jeera Buns
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 630 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24822 times
Jeera buns and masala buns are common fare at bakeries, but nothing can beat the satisfaction of making them in your own kitchen.
First of all, the softness and fresh aroma of buns out of the Oven are unbeatable. Secondly, you are also assured of the ingredients that go into it and the hygienic preparation.
So, here is how you can make your favourite Onion and Jeera Buns are home. These tasty buns can be stored in a dry, airtight container at room temperature, for two days.
The procedure is quite simple, and if you follow the instructions correctly, you are sure to end up with fluffy, irresistible buns to accompany your tea today!
When you have let the yeast mixture rest for 10 minutes, you will notice that it gets frothy, which means it has activated properly – once you get this right, you have crossed half the bridge. But, if you don’t get a bubbly, frothy yeast mixture, you might have to redo that step; the water might have been too cold or too hot.
They stay fresh in an air-tight container for 2 days. Team up these buns with pepper-flavoured Tomato, Cabbage and Bean Soup and Pasta Genovese and make it a meal.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn translucent. Keep aside.
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of warm water in a small bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, butter, salt, onion mixture and the yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl and knead it into soft dough using ½ cup of warm water.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 20 minutes or till the dough rises.
- Grease a baking tray with oil and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball and place it on the greased baking tray.
- Cover them with a damp muslin cloth and keep in a warm place for 45 minutes or till they rise well.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve.
- Onion and jeera buns stays fresh for 2 days at room temperature.
Nutrient values per bun
|Vitamin A||63.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.