How many calories does one Gobi Paratha have?
One gobi paratha has 218 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 123 calories, proteins account for 22 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 79 calories. One gobi paratha provides about 11 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Gobi Paratha recipe. Gobi paratha is a dish wish a universal appeal! While North Indians like to have this Punjabi paratha any time of the day, for breakfast, Indian lunch or dinner, South Indian too have borrowed this dish from the north and incorporated it into their supper and dinner menus. gobi ka paratha is also a very famous Indian street food which is mostly available and sold in the morning.
What makes these whole wheat Punjabi gobi paratha so appealing is the soft and tasty filling of cauliflower flavoured with spicy green chillies and crunchy onions. Green chillies spike up the flavor of the Gobi paratha stuffing, while coriander adds up the freshness. You can add amchur or chaat masala which would give it an enjoyable tinge of tanginess.
To make gobi paratha, first knead a semi-stiff dough. For stuffing, heat ghee in a pan add cumin seeds, add onions and green chillies which can be adjusted according to the preference, add grated cauliflower. Further, we have added little water which would help us cook the cauliflower and it will prevent the mixture from drying out and burning. Further, add coriander for freshness. Mix well and stuffing is ready.
To proceed, divide dough, roll into a small roti. Place it in the center of the rolled roti and pull all the sides together. Flatten it and roll into a paratha. Place it on a greased tava and cook on both the sides of cauliflower paratha using ghee until golden brown and crisp.
gobi ka paratha taste best when served hot with pickles/achaar and curds, but they may also be carried in a dabba.
To the Punjabi gobi paratha, add dollop of ghee or fresh Homemade White Butter and with a tall glass of lassi would be a great option!
5 Reasons why you should eat Gobi Paratha
Gobi Paratha is made up of two healthful ingredients whole wheat flour and Cauliflower. There are many health benefits of Cauliflower and benefits of whole wheat flour. We have used 1.5 cups of cauliflower in this recipe.
1. Gobi Paratha is fibre rich and fibre helps to lower your cholesterol levels.
2. An excellent Antioxidant that whole wheat flour has is Vitamin B1, which will fight against free radicals that do damage to the body.
3. A good source of phosphorus which is one of the important minerals to maintain and support bone health.
4. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body.
Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
5. Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed 11 benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Gobi Paratha ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT cut the oil used in the recipe for diabetics. Cauliflower (gobi) : Cauliflower is extremely low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. One cup Cauliflower provides you 100% off your daily recommended allowance of Vitamin C.
Pair your Gobi Parathas with homemade curds using cows milk or low fat curds or or a low fat cucumber raita.
Basic Homemade Curd, Dahi Or Yogurt Using Cow's Milk
How to burn 218 calories from one Gobi Paratha?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 5 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 19 mins
Cycling (22 kmph) = 22 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 37 mins
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
Gobi Paratha is good for
2) Heart Patients
3) Healthy lifestyle
Parathas are healthy but not good for weight loss.