Nankhatai, Nan Khatai Biscuit
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 169 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 119066 times
A melt-in-the-mouth biscuit, with the rich aroma of ghee tinged with spicy notes of cardamom, the Nankhatai is a perfect example of Indian ingenuity.
Almond and pistachio powders not only improves the flavour but also makes the Nankhatai more porous, making every bite just melt in your mouth and coat your taste buds.
Indeed, every crunchy bite of this intensely flavoured ‘cookie’ is an opportunity to retreat from mundane worries and experience real delight!
These traditional Indian cookies can be served as Evening Tea Snacks , School Time Snacks , at High Tea Party and can also served to the guests on the occasion of Diwali or New year's day.
- Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and baking soda in a deep bowl and keep aside.
- Combine the ghee and powdered sugar in a deep bowl and whisk well for 10 to 12 minutes or till white in colour, smooth and fluffy.
- Add the plain flour mixture, rava, powdered almonds, powdered pistachios and cardamom powder and mix well to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions and roll each portion in a 50 mm. (2”) diameter round flat nankhatai.
- Place the nankhatais on a baking tray at equal distance and garnish each nankhatai with a few almond slivers and press it lightly. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160°c (320°f) for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values per nankhatai
|Vitamin A||110 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.