Added to 119 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 286682 times
One of the best-ever favourite recipes served by Mumbai’s roadside eateries, Misal can even be considered a trademark dish of the city’s food scene!
It is nice and spicy, and delivers the perfect pick-me-up effect. We have used only safed vatana here, as done by most eateries in Mumbai, but if you wish you can use mixed sprouts too. The cooked vatana is combined with a tongue-tickling gravy of tomatoes, onions and spice powders like garam masala and goda masala, and a topping of assorted savouries to give it an exciting crunch.
Served with laddi pav, Misal can be enjoyed for breakfast, dinner or as a snack at any time of the day.
You can also try other misal and usal recipes like Moong Dahi Misal , Farali Misal , Malvani Vatana Usal and Sprouted Vaal ki Usal .
- Combine the safed vatana, soda, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep the safed vatana and the water aside. Do not drain.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions, ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, garam masala, goda masala and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked safed vatana with its water, salt, and 1 more cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving pour ¼ of the misal in a serving bowl, sprinkle 2 tbsp of mixed farsan, 2 tbsp of onions and 1 tbsp of coriander evenly over it.
- Repeat step 7 to make 3 more servings.
- Serve immediately with laddi pavs and lemon wedges.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.