Farali Misal, Maharashtrian Upvas Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3923 times
Misal is an all-time favourite Maharashtrian snack that is tasty, energising and nutritious.
Here, we have created a faraali version of this popular snack, so you can top up your energy reserves on fasting days too. Mashed potatoes are cooked with an outta-the-world masala that combines peanuts, coconut and coriander.
This gives the Farali Misal a wonderful flavour and interesting mouth-feel too. Top the potato curry with Farali Chivda and Masala Salli to enhance the flavour and add an exciting crunch.
If you do not consume chilli powder on fasting days, you can replace chilli powder with green chilli paste, and the Masala Salli with plain Salli.
You can also have a go at other faraal recipes like Kand Aloo Pakoda or Buckwheat Dhokla .
Add your private note
Farali Misal, Maharashtrian Upvas Snack recipe - How to make Farali Misal, Maharashtrian Upvas Snack
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 2 servings
- Combine the peanuts, coconut, coriander and approx. 4 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the prepared peanut-coconut paste, , mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, salt and 1½ cups of hot water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Pour half the portion on a serving bowl.
- Top it with 2 tbsp of farali chivda and 2 tbsp of masala salli evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make 1 more serving.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.