Karela Tikkis, Bitter Gourd Tikki Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 74 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29631 times
Though unpleasantly bitter, karela tops the list of diabetes-friendly foods. It contains 'gurmarin', a polypeptide that works like insulin in our body and helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Combine karela with carrot and low-fat paneer to make these surprisingly delicious tikkis.
Serve with diabetic-friendly Garlic Tomato Chutney or Mint and Onion Chutney .
- Apply a little salt to the bitter gourd, mix well and keep aside for 2 to 3 minutes. Squeeze and keep the water aside. This water can be used as given in the handy tip.
- Combine the bitter gourd, carrot, green peas, paneer, coriander, bread crumbs, green chilli paste, dried mango powder and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into 50 mm. (2”) flat round tikkis.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Cook each tikki, using ¼ tsp of oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and spring onion whites and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the red chillies, tomatoes, salt and 1 tbsp water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously and lightly mashing with the back of a spoon.
- Switch of the flame, add the coriander and spring onion greens and mix well.
- Serve the karela tikkis hot with garlic tomato chutney.
- While grating the bitter gourd, start grating without peeling and avoid including white portion and seeds inside it.
- You will benefit from drinking the water squeezed from the karela as well. To cut its bitter taste, mix with a glass of water or tomato juice.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tikki
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.