Grilled Tomato and Cheese Sandwich
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5070 times
An ever-popular snack all over the world, the Grilled Tomato and Cheese Sandwich seems to have a timeless appeal with people of all age groups and nationalities.
Its charming simplicity and awesome taste make it a great hit. It is also a versatile snack, which can be modified this way or that to please one’s particular tastes.
You can add a little more or less cheese, a shake more of pepper or throw in some herbs for a peppier aroma – it is up to you how you wish to make it.
Here we present a super tasty Grilled Tomato and Cheese Sandwich, speckled with basil and pepper for added josh. You are sure to enjoy this quick and filling snack.
You can also try other sandwiches like the Pesto and Mozzarella Panini or Potato Tikki Sandwich .
- Place 2 bread slices on a clean, dry surface, spread ½ tsp of butter on each bread slice.
- Place a cheese slice on one buttered bread slice, top it with 5 tomato slices and salt and pepper evenly over it.
- Sprinkle a little basil leaves and drizzle little olive oil over it.
- Finally cover the sandwich with the buttered side facing downwards and press it lightly.
- Apply ½ tsp of butter evenly over it.
- Place the sandwich in a greased and hot griller and grill the sandwich for 5 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Cut the sandwich diagonally into 2 equal parts.
- Repeat steps 1 to 7 to make 3 more sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
Grilled Tomato and Cheese Sandwich Video by Tarla Dalal
Grilled Tomato and Cheese Sandwich recipe with step by step photos
- Though breads are easily available in market, our website has a wide collection of homemade bread varients. Try making fresh breads at home like the Basic White Bread Loaf Using Yeast, Whole Wheat Bread and Multigrain Bread & we are sure you would never buy readymade bread.
- To make Grilled Tomato and Cheese Sandwich, first place 2 bread slices on a clean, dry surface.
- Spread ½ tsp of butter on each bread slice.
- Place a cheese slice on one buttered bread slice. We have use processed cheese but you can use any other cheese slice like the cheddar or mozzarella. In fact, grating the cheeses for a grilled cheese sandwich leads to faster, more even melting.
- Top it with 5 tomato slices.
- For seasoning, sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over it. Also, you can sprinkle mixed herbs.
- Sprinkle a little basil leaves.
- Now drizzle little olive oil over it. After all, this sandwich is a classic combination of tomato, basil and olive oil.
- Finally cover the sandwich with the buttered side facing downwards.
- Press it lightly.
- Apply ½ tsp of butter evenly over it.
- Place the sandwich in a greased and hot griller. You can even toast this on a grill pan or non-stick tava. One secret to get crispy sandwich on the outside and gooey on the inside while toasting on a tava is to apply mayonnaise on the outside instead of butter.
- Grill the sandwich for 5 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Cut the sandwich diagonally into 2 equal parts. Repeat steps 2 to 13 to make 3 more sandwiches.
- Serve immediately. You can enjoy this sandwich for breakfast, brunch or evening snack with tomato ketchup or any dip.
- Make it a sumptuous meal by serving it with a bowl of piping hot Onion thyme soup or deep-fried appetizers like spicy creamy French fries, spicy potato wedges or banana wafers and a rejuvenating Fruity Iced Tea.
- You can make similar grilled sandwich recipes like Potato Cheese Grilled Sandwich, Burrata Cheese and Bellpepper Grilled Sandwich, Grilled Chocolate Cheese Sandwich or Pineapple and Cheese Grilled Sandwich.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per sandwich
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.