Gajar ka Halwa, Quick Gajar Halwa Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 372 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 638635 times
Gajar ka Halwa has a traditional charm that continues to please every generation of Indians! Here is a quick and tasty version of Gajar ka Halwa made using the pressure cooker.
Cooked in milk, the carrots acquire a rich taste and melt-in-the-mouth texture, which are intensified by the addition of mava. Because milk and mawa are used, the recipe does not require much ghee, yet it has the same old rich taste and luxuriant mouth-feel.
Enjoy the Gajar ka Halwa warm. If you want to try this recipe without using a pressure cooker, try this version Microwave Gajar ka Halwa and if you want to make it in the microwave oven, go for this recipe Gajar ka Halwa.
Indian sweets can be enjoyed anytime of the year, but there are a few age-old recipes that comes to life every year during festival times, like Til Laddu is a popular sweet during Makar Sankranti, lord Ganesha is worshipped during Ganesh Chaturthi lovingly with his favourite delicacies like Modak and Churma Ladoo and then there is Jalebi that is enjoyed along with fafda on Dassera day, Maharashtrians make Puran Poli for Gudi Padwa and Kaju Katli and Mawa Karanji are much sought after during Diwali.
Do check out our entire recipe collection of Traditional Indian Sweets.
Enjoy how to make Gajar ka Halwa recipe with detailed step by step photos and video.
- To make gajar ka halwa, heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the carrots and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk, mix well and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Transfer into a broad non-stick pan, add the sugar, mix well and cook on a high flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the mawa, mix well and cook for more 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the raisins, almonds and cardamom powder and cook the gajar halwa for another 1 minute.
- Serve the gajar ka halwa hot or warm.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.