Moong Dal Khichdi ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 315 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 369065 times
Moong dal khichdi is very popular as a comfort food. It is sure to soothe you and make you feel better when you are off colour, especially if you are down with a fever or stomach ache!
Dal and rice cooked together with peppercorns and flavoured with ghee, it is a light and healthy meal despite the rich texture that the ghee and dal impart to it. In many Gujarati houses, Friday is Khichdi day.
- Wash and soak the dal and rice together in enough water for at least 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dal and rice with the turmeric powder, peppercorns, salt and 4½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Just before serving, add the ghee and mix well.
- Serve hot with kadhi and papad.
- Use green moong dal (split green gram) instead of the yellow moong dal, and use 2 cloves (laung / lavang) and a small piece of cinnamon (dalchini) instead of the peppercorns.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.