Moong Dal Khichdi ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 313 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 351243 times
Moong dal khichdi is very popular as a comfort food. It is sure to soothe you and make you feel better when you are off colour, especially if you are down with a fever or stomach ache! dal and rice cooked together with peppercorns and flavoured with ghee, it is a light and healthy meal despite the rich texture that the ghee and dal impart to it. In many gujarati houses, friday is khichdi day.
- Wash and soak the moong dal and rice together. Drain.
- In a bowl, mix the dal and rice with the turmeric powder, peppercorns, 4 1/2 cups of water and salt.
- Pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles and set aside for 20 minutes till the steam has been released.
- Remove from the pressure cooker, add the ghee and mix well.
- Serve hot with kadhi and papad.
- Use green moong dal (split green gram) instead of the yellow moong dal, and use 2 cloves (laung / lavang) and a small piece of cinnamon (dalchini) instead of the peppercorns.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.