Toovar Dal and Mixed Vegetable Masala Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 34 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 55318 times
Delicious masala-stuffed vegetables, rice and dal are carefully cooked together in this one of a kind recipe. A great one dish meal, Toovar Dal and Mixed Vegetable Masala Khichdi when served with buttermilk, also makes a fabulous potluck lunch.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice and toovar dal in enough water for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Divide the masala mixture into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Make criss-cross slits on the onions, potatoes and brinjals, taking care not to separate the segments.
- Stuff the onions, potatoes and brinjal with half the masala mixture and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the rice and toovar dal, asafoetida, turmeric powder and soda bi-carb and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the stuffed vegetables, the remaining half masala mixture, green peas, salt and 3 cups of hot water, mix gently and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve immediately along with papad and buttermilk.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.