Barley and Moong Dal Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 23 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 44046 times
Life can be tough without comforting khichdi to keep you company! One of the homeliest of meals, khichdi is satiating and soothing to the palate.
Here’s an innovative twist, we have used fibre-rich barley to make this khichdi. A good replacement for rice, barley combines very well with moong dal and mild spices to create a comfort food that keeps you satiated for a long time due to its high fibre content.
Apart from curbing cholesterol, barley also helps control weight gain. To this effect, we have also avoided ghee and used heart-friendly olive oil instead. Have this easy-to-make Barley and Moong Dal Khichdi with a bowl of low-fat curds, to make a light but wholesome One Dish Meals .
- Heat the olive oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the green chilllies and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the barley, yellow moong dal, salt and 4 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve immediately with low-fat curds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.