Til Chikki ( Baby and Toddler)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 55 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18485 times
Leave alone children, even adults love the traditional, evergreen Til Chikki! This simple recipe gives a high dose of calcium and iron, which are wonder nutrients for your growing baby.
We have made the recipe child-friendly by using a small amount of jaggery to sweeten it. While this gives a pleasant sweetness, it is not as sweet as what you get in the market.
Let them nibble on this delightful snack between meal times, but be around to ensure they are chewing properly as such dry and crisp foods could cause choking if the children stuff themselves with it.
- Heat a deep non-stick kadhai, add the sesame seeds and dry roast on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in the same deep non-stick kadhai, add the jaggery, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add the roasted sesame seeds and mix very well.
- When the mixture is ready, transfer the entire mixture over the back of a greased thali or a smooth stone surface and roll out thinly into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter circle using a greased rolling pin.
- Cut them into 38 mm. X 38 mm. (1. 5’’×1. 5’’) 16 equal square pieces using a sharp knife and keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, serve immediately or store in an air-tight container.
- This chikki stays fresh in an air-tight container at room temperature for atleast a week.
Nutrient values per piece
|Energy|| 45 kcal|
|Protein|| 1.0 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 3.6 gm|
|Fat|| 2.9 gm|
|Calcium|| 83.4 mg|
|Iron|| 0.6 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.