Vegetable Idlis ( Baby and Toddler)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 419 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 89647 times
The Vegetable Idli is a beautiful potpourri of flavours, colours and textures, which your child is sure to enjoy.
The soothing taste of coconut milk together with the fresh flavour of vegetables is enough to make this idli variant a runaway hit with kiddos.
A soft and safe food, this is not likely to choke babies of 10-12 months’ age. So, you can cut these idlis into strips and serve them attractively, so your baby will try to feed herself – a necessary life-skill that must be initiated from this wee age itself!
- Wash and soak the parboiled rice and urad dal together in enough water in a deep bowl for at least 2 hours.
- Drain well, add the coconut milk and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the carrot, onions, cabbage, cumin seeds, coconut and salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 3 to 4 hours.
- Pour spoonfuls of the batter into the greased idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till they are done.
- Serve hot with corn sambhar.
Nutrient values per idli
|Energy|| 72 kcal|
|Protein|| 1.6 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 13.0 gm|
|Invisible Fat|| 1.5 gm|
|Fibre|| 0.5 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.