Onion and Karela Sabzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 109 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 355501 times
onion karela sabzi | pyaz wale karele | bitter gourd sabzi | healthy onion karela sabzi | with 24 amazing images.
Wonderfully flavourful, this Onion and Karela Sabzi is perked up not just by the pungency of onions, but also by the aroma of roasted sesame seeds and the tanginess of amchur powder.
Together, these ingredients complement the bitterness of karela very well, making Onion and Karela Sabzi not just palatable but quite enjoyable too!
See why we think this is a healthy onion karela sabzi? While there is a little sugar used in the recipe, the rest is all good. Anyone who has just been detected with diabetes is advised to eat karela by all. Bitter gourd not only reduces intestinal disorders like constipation but is equally beneficial for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
Aside from Pyaz Wale Karele, Bitter Gourd Subzi, try our other semi dry sabzi recipes from Kala Chana Sundal to Achaari Dahi Bhindi.
Good accompaniments for Onion and Karela Sabzi is Jowar Roti, Bajra Roti or just a plain roti.
Enjoy how to make onion karela sabzi | pyaz wale karele | bitter gourd sabzi | healthy onion karela sabzi | with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make onion and karela sabzi, combine the bitter gourd and a little salt in a deep bowl and mix very well. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Squeeze all the water from the bitter gourd and place them on a kitchen towel to dry them completely.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the bitter gourd, mix well and cover and cook on a slow flame for 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, sugar, dried mango powder, sesame seeds, salt and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve onion and karela sabzi hot.
Onion and Karela Sabzi Video by Tarla Dalal
Onion and Karela Sabzi recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.