Karela and Capsicum Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 166 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 95464 times
Bitter though it is, karela has a unique taste that transforms it into a delicacy if prepared in the right ways.
Here, an innovative combination of bitter gourd, onions and colourful capsicums are sautéed with a traditional tempering, resulting in a flavourful and aromatic subzi that goes well with rice and rotis.
Although prepared with everyday ingredients and the simplest of cooking methods, the Karela and Capsicum Subzi is a super hit mainly because of the thoughtful combination of vegetables.
Try other karela subzis like Karela Bateta Nu Shaak , Masala Bharwan Karela and Onion and Karela Subzi .
- Combine the karela strips and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the karela and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the karela strips and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the capsicum and salt, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||118.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||18.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.