Kathal Dry Sabzi, Maharashtrian Jackfruit Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 23 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21106 times
Next time you spot a raw jackfruit in the market, bring it home and try this spicy dry subzi. This Kathal Dry Subzi takes a little bit of time to prepare but it is completely worth the effort, because your family will go gaga over it!
The first and most critical step in preparing this subzi is to deep-fry the kathal. It is important to fry it really crisp in order to get this masaledar subzi right.
The crispy fried kathal is then sautéed with onions, tomatoes and a special paste of roasted spices, seeds and coconut. The crunch of the kathal together with the tongue-tickling flavour of this paste and the juiciness of tomatoes and onions makes this subzi a special treat, which everybody will love.
Enjoy it immediately after preparation with roti or parathas. Have a go at other jackfruit surprises like the Jackfruit Curry and Jackfruit Cutlet .
- Heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry the jackfruit.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and sprinkle little salt all over the fried jackfruit evenly and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, kashmiri dry red chillies and coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer using ¼ cup of water till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the curry leaves, onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, prepared masala, chilli powder, 5 tbsp of water and salt , mix well and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the fried jackfruit , mix well and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes , while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||191.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||13.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||2.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.