Hara Bhara Kebab in Green Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 25 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10314 times
Here's how you can welcome your favourite starter into the main course! Hara Bhara Kebab, the ever-popular starter made of chana dal, paneer and green-hued ingredients like spinach and green peas, is drowned in a tongue-tickling green gravy and served as a main course.
The gravy has a vibrant taste, colour and texture because of the combination of spinach and fenugreek leaves with cream and spice powders. When the kebab and the green gravy come together, you get a totally awesome main course that you can combine with your favourite Indian breads to make a delicious meal.
Don't forget the garnish of cheese because it significantly boosts the visual appeal and taste of the Hara Bhara Kebab in Green Gravy.
- Combine the plain flour and approx. 5 tbsp of water in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal with enough water in a deep bowl for 1 hour and drain well
- Combine the chana dal, garlic, ginger, green chillies and ¼ cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain well.
- Combine the chana dal, spinach and green peas in a mixer and blend till smooth using ½ tbsp of water if needed.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and add the paneer, salt, garam masala, chaat masala and bread crumbs and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a long oblong kebab.
- Dip each kebab into the prepared plain flour-water mixture and roll in the bread crumbs till it is evenly coated from all the sides.
- Refrigerate the kebabs for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry the kebabs, 2 at a time on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add the spinach and fenugreek leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Drain and refresh it with cold water. Blend in a mixer till smooth and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan kadhai, add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach-fenugreek mixture, green chilli paste, garam masala, fresh cream, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, re-heat the green gravy.
- Place the hara bhara kebabs in a serving dish and pour the hot green gravy evenly over it.
- Serve immediately garnished with cheese.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.