by Tarla Dalal
Added to 303 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 114378 times
All set to explore Mexican foods? Well, then it is time for you to master the art of making Corn Tortillas. To put it very simply, the tortilla is nothing but a Mexican roti made with maize flour.
Maize flour is naturally-rich in dietary fibre, antioxidants, vitamin B, omega 6 unsaturated fat and vegetable protein, which makes tortillas healthier than maida-based rotis.
Tortilla is at the heart of several Mexican delicacies like Tostadas, Spicy Mushroom Enchiladas and Chilli Bean Quesadillas.
You can make soft-shell tacos and serve with salsa, Guacamole sour cream, kidney bean stuffing, lettuce leaves and boiled corn kernels to enjoy a thematic Mexican meal at home.
Tortilla is a simple 4-ingredient recipe, and you can easily make it at home. If you make Mexican food frequently, you can even make a large quantity of tortillas and freeze them in your refrigerator, to use as and when required.
While traditionally tortillas are made with a Mexican flour called Masa Harina, we use maize flour that is derived from the ground and desiccated seed of the maize plant. Maize flour is commonly available in India.
- To make the corn tortillas, mix the flours, oil and salt and make a dough by adding enough warm water.
- Knead the dough well and keep or 1/2 hour. Knead again.
- Depending on the diameter you require for the dish, roll out the dough into 6" (150 mm. ) or " (225 mm. ) diameter thin rounds with the help of a little flour.
- Cook lightly on a tava (griddle) and keep aside.
- Make large quantities and freeze in a refrigerator, as tortillas are used extensively in Mexican food.
- They should be present at every Mexican Meal, served warm.
- And stacked within a warm white cloth and then placed inside a colourful straw basket.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.