Carrot Halwa By paulachand
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3278 times
Carrot halwa or Gajar ka halwa is a North Indian sweet dish prepared from grated gajar (or carrots) cooked with sugar, ghee and spices like cardamom. A delicious dessert dish which can be served as a snack or after meal sweet! Carrot halwa or Gajar ka halwa is a favorite dessert served in North India during winters garnished with chopped nuts.
- Grate the carrots preferrably using a hand-held grater, if not use a blender.
- Soak this grated carrots in milk, make sure it is completely soaked.
- Cook the mix in a pressure cooker until you hear 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure dies down, make sure the carrots are well cooked, but not mashed.
- Now pour 2-3 spoons of ghee in a wide-mouthed vessel.
- Pour the cooked carrot/milk mix into the vessel.
- Add the sugar (about 1-1/2 cups).
- Let this mix boil.
- Stir constantly
- Once it has reached the required level of solidification, fry some raisins and cashews in ghee, in a separate vessel.
- Spread the halwa in a plate and decorate the raisins and cashews on the top.
This recipe was contributed by paulachand on 07 Nov 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.