Cabbage Jowar Muthias
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 222 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 88933 times
Muthias are an all-time favourite snack for Gujaratis, but for some people they may be very new.
These are steamed dumplings that can be made with 2 or 3 kinds of flour combinations and can be flavoured with different vegetables like methi, mooli (radish), bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki) etc.
This version uses cabbage and jowar flour to provide you with plenty of fibre and flavour. You can try eating these to lower down your caloric intake but do remember to limit the oil used for the tempering.
These muthias make a great snack, accompanied by a fruit or a fruit juice.
You can also try other snacks like Amiri Khaman or Khandvi .
Add your private note
Cabbage Jowar Muthias recipe - How to make Cabbage Jowar Muthias
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 3 servings
- Combine the cabbage, jowar flour, curds, coriander, lemon juice, ginger-green chilli paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder, ¼ tsp of asafoetida and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using approx. ¼ cup of water.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and shape each portion into 125 mm. (5") cylindrical roll.
- Arrange both the rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut each roll into 13 mm. (½”) thick slices and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the remaining ¼ tsp of asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced muthias, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour, while tossing gently and occasionally.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.