Boriya Diya Palang Saag
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3802 times
A classic Bengalii dish of moong dal dumplings cooked in a spinach gravy.
The vibrant taste and unique mouth-feel of this dish make it a great hit, not just with Bengalis but anybody who tastes it.
Boriya Diya Palang Saag literally means a gravy (saag) of spinach (palang) with dumplings (boriya) and that’s exactly what it is.
The preparation is also quite unique. A dough-like mixture of moong dal, ginger and other ingredients is gently dropped in small pieces into a gravy of brinjals and tomatoes spiced with nigella seeds and green chillies.
The dumplings cook in the gravy itself, imbibing all its exciting flavours. Since the dumplings are not deep-fried, this dish is quite healthy.
The spinach and moong dal make it an iron -rich treat, and the vitamin C from lemon juice ensures that the iron is absorbed really well.
Serve this healthy subzi hot and fresh with rice or rotis .
- Soak the yellow moong dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine the soaked moong dal, ginger paste, garam masala and turmeric powder in a mixer and blend till smooth without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add the baking soda and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the nigella seeds and green chilli and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the brinjal and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and boil on a medium flame for approx. 5 minutes.
- Add in the moong dal mixture little at a time using your fingertips to form dumplings to the simmering spinach-water mixture and cook it for atleast 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring it occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the lemon juice and mix well gently.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.