Bengali Style Jackfruit Curry, Echor Kosha
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 38380 times
Panch phoron is a mix of five seeds, which is a must-have in every Bengali kitchen. Sometimes the panch phoron is tempered whole, whereas in recipes like this they are crushed coarsely and used.
This Bengali Style Jackfruit Curry is tempered with panch phoron masala in mustard oil, both of which are responsible for the curry’s unique flavour and appetizing aroma.
Curds and tomato puree give this dry curry a lip-smacking tanginess, while a blend of spice powders adds to its tongue-tingling taste.
The traditional curry is super delicious, and you will really enjoy it with rice or Luchi.
To develop a taste for Bengali cuisine, try other amazing dishes like the Kumror Chhokka and Luchi .
- Combine the jackfruit cubes, 3 tsp of mustard oil, curds, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and garam masala in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- In a deep non-stick pan, heat the ghee, add the whole kashmiri red chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée, cashewnut paste, chilli powder, coriander powder, and cumin seeds powder, mix well and cook on medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared jackfruit mixture and salt , mix well and cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of mustard oil in a small non-stick pan, add the paanch phoron and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour this over the jackfruit curry and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.