Khandvi ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 643 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 313224 times
Khandvi is a popular snack amongst gujaratis, especially the kids! nobody can hide their love for this delicious savoury made of gram flour and curds, tempered with mustard seeds. At the same time, none can deny that it is a difficult item to prepare! be patient, and remember to cook the paste slowly and completely till thick. Also, take care to roll the khandvi lightly; and temper well.
- Combine the besan, curds-water mixture, lemon juice, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt in a deep non-stick pan and mix well to make a smooth batter (taking care that no lump remains).
- Cook on a slow flame, while stirring continuously till it becomes thick (approx. 8 to 10 minutes).
- Grease a thali (approx. 10”) on the reverse side using ¼ tsp of oil and spread a spoonful of the batter on a greased thali and wait for a few seconds and try to roll up. If it doesn’t, then cook for a few more minutes, and check once more till done.
- Divide the batter into two equal portions. While the batter is still hot, spread each portion evenly using a spatula, on the reverse greased side of 2 thalis evenly to make a thin uniform layer using a spatula (refer step 1).
- When cool, cut the khandvi on each thali lengthwise (approx. 1½" in width) into equal portions (as shown in the image) and roll up each gently (refer to step 2 and 3).
- For the tempering, just before serving heat the remaining 3 tsp oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the khandvis.
- Serve immediately garnished with coconut and coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.