Mag Dal Ni Kachori ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 470 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 181613 times
Crispy, flaky shells with a delectably spicy filling of cooked and seasoned yellow moong dal, every bite of these kachoris is worth a fortune! these can be eaten as a snack, or along with your meals. This dish gets a protein boost due to the moong-based filling, making it a great choice for kids. Take care to deep-fry these kachoris on a very slow flame to ensure even cooking and also to make the crust nice and flaky.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add enough water and knead into soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 10 to 12 small equal portions and roll out each into a 63 mm (2”) diameter thin circle. Cover with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside.
- Drain the moong dal, add 2 to 3 tbsp of water in a bowl. Place the bowl in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain again and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, carom seeds, fennel seeds, sesame seeds, asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the moong dal, turmeric powder, chilli powder, ginger-green chilli paste, fennel powder, sugar and salt and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and cool slightly.
- Divide the stuffing 10 to 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place a dough circle on a flat dry surface and put a portion of the stuffing in the centre and seal the edges on top.
- Give a round shape to each kachori by rolling between the palms.
- Repeat the steps 1 and 2 to make more kachoris.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry a few kachoris at a time on a slow flame till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per kachori
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.