Vaal Ki Usal ( Know Your Dals and Pulses )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20817 times
This is a popular, easy-fix maharashtrian dish. The combination of jaggery and kokum gives a sweet and tangy taste to this usal, which is made using vaal.
- Soak the kokums in ¼ cup of warm water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mash it with your hands and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent, while stirring continuously.
- Add the vaal and 1 cup of water, cover and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, kokum mixture, jaggery, chilli powder, coriander and salt and simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring once in between. Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.