Spicy Urad Dal Puris ( Desi Khana )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 459 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 41277 times
There is a difference in every aspect of this puri – at one level, there is a scrumptious filling of soaked, ground and sautéed urad dal spiced with a special masala; and then there is the dough tinged with the heady aroma of nigella seeds. Without a doubt, these spicy urad dal puris will set you apart as a gourmet cook!
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a stiff dough using enough water. Cover and keep aside for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till it releases an aroma.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in water for 4 hours.
- Drain and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste using very little water.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the urad dal paste and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the masala powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute. Keep aside to cool.
- Divide the dough and stuffing into 10 equal portions.
- Roll out one portion of the dough into a thin round of about 75 mm. (3”) diameter with the help of a little oil.
- Put one portion of the stuffing in the centre and close the edges to cover the stuffing completely. Roll out again into small puris.
- Repeat with the remaining portions and stuffing to make 9 more stuffed puris.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the puris, a few at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with sweet pickle.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per puri
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.