Ragi Puttu, Healthy Kerala Homemade Ragi Puttu for Breakfast Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 13067 times
Puttu is one of the most famous breakfast dishes of Kerala. It is made with flours of grains like red rice, ragi, corn, etc. Of these, the Ragi Puttu tastes and looks the best.
The alternating layers of coconut and brownish ragi look simply awesome and bring alive your appetite! It has a pleasant homely taste, and combines beautifully with spicy curries .
It is usually served with a vegetable stew or chick pea curry. Loaded with iron and calcium , this steamed food is one of the healthiest you can think of, and quite sure to give you strong bones!
- Take a coconut shell, with 3 eyes. Break one of the eyes with a sharp knife so as to create a big hole and keep aside.
- Combine the ragi flour and salt in a deep bowl, and sprinkle approx. 1/3 cup of warm water at regular intervals, mix well and make into a wet bread crumbs like mixture.
- Heat the pressure cooker with enough water, close the lid, do not put the whistle and allow it to boil till the steam comes out from the top.
- Take the coconut shell, put 1 tbsp of coconut, ¼ of the ragi mixture, again 1 tbsp of coconut and ¼ cup of ragi mixture and spread it evenly. Make sure you do not press it while filling the shell.
- Place this coconut shell over the cooker’s whistle, by inserting it through the hole created, and allow it to cook on a medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes, till you can see the steam coming out of the puttu.
- Repeat step 4 and 5 to make 3 more puttus.
- Remove the shell carefully from the cooker and invert it on a serving plate.
- Serve it immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per puttu
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.