Matki Chi Usal - Maharashtrian Dish
Added to 25 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 171327 times
Matki chi usal - maharashtrian dish presents a spicy and authentic recipe to prepare the popular maharashtrian lentil preparation, usal. The sprouted lentils like matki is cooked with onion, tomato, chillies and coconut and enjoyed with bhakris or rice flour rotis.
- Soak the matki in enough water overnight.
- Drain and par-boil the matki in a deep pan in enough water for 5 minutes along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and onions, mix well and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and chilli powder, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the par boiled matki, salt, garam masala and coconut, mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium flame.
- Add little water to prevent from burning.
- Add the jaggery and peanuts, mix well and cook futher for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander and desiccated coconut.
This recipe was contributed by vinodsharma on 04 Oct 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.