Jowar Dhani Chivda, Holi Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11009 times
The Jowar Dhani Chivda promises a bowl full of crunchy fun! Indeed, this Holi specialty is made with yummy jowar puffs and roasted chana dal, seasoned with spice powders and tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
A pinch of asafoetida is added to give the chivda a very appetizing aroma. For the Gujaratis, Holi celebrations are incomplete without this crispy treat, which is made in large batches and enjoyed by adults and kids.
Kids will also love this snack as it has a popcorn-like mouth-feel. You can even pack it in a dabba as a snack for school or work.
Other must-try chivdas in our collection include the Roasted Poha and Oats Chivda , Kolhapuri Bhadang Murmura and Khakhra Chivda .
- Heat a deep non-stick pan, add the jowar puffs and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the same deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the roasted chana dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the roasted jowar puffs and roasted chana, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||102.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.