Jackfruit Kofta Curry, Kathal Kofta Curry
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12736 times
When the jackfruit season is in, everybody clamours for the fruit, but only the wise know the value of the raw form!
Raw jackfruit has a rustic taste, which if handled properly gives rise to many wondrous recipes. While many people use the kathal to make subzis, we offer you yet another choice – the Jackfruit Kofta Curry.
The kofta has a very different mouth-feel because of the texture of the jackfruit. These unique but tasty koftas are then used to make a delicious curry that is perked up with a range of spice powders in perfect proportions.
The different texture and peppy flavour of the curry is really uplifting and will make your meal a memorable one.
Try other jackfruit recipes like Kathal Dry Sabzi or Mustard Masala Jackfruit .
- Heat enough water in a deep non-stick pan. Add the jackfruit and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 16 minutes or till they turn soft, while stirring it occasionally.
- Drain the water using a strainer.
- Transfer the jackfruit in a deep bowl and mash it using a potato masher.
- Add the besan, green chilli paste, ginger and salt and mix very well to form a dough.
- Divide the dough into 14 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry, a few koftas at a time, on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 6 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while mashing it lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Switch of the flame , cool it slightly and blend it in a mixer till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into the same deep non-stick pan, add ½ cup of water and curd, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the prepared jackfruit koftas, and coriander, mix gently, cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring it occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||232.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||12.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||18.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.