Adai Recipe, Adai Dosa, Breakfast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 544 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 126691 times
Adai is a crisp, golden dosa made using a batter of rice and mixed dals. It has the rich aroma of coconut oil and roasted dals, and a very rustic flavour as well.
It is more satiating than regular dosas and makes a great Breakfast . Adai can be enhanced by adding onions or chopped drumstick leaves to the batter.
While Adai tastes great with Coconut Chutney and Sambhar, there is a more traditional way of serving it, topped with a dollop of butter and accompanied by Avial and grated jaggery.
- Combine the rice, dals, ginger, red chillies, peppercorns and cumin seeds in enough water in a deep bowl and keep aside to soak for 2 hours. Drain the water.
- Blend the mixture in a mixer to a coarse mixture using approx. 1 cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the onions, asafoetida, curry leaves, grated coconut and salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear a little coconut oil over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the adai dosa turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Turn over and cook on the other side as well.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 9 more adai dosa.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Nutrient values per dosa
|Vitamin A||11.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||14 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.