Brown Rice Dosa, Healthy Dosa Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 43971 times
Brown Rice Dosa is a delightfully crispy, golden brown dosa that tastes awesome! On the other hand, it is amazingly healthy as we have used a combination of unpolished brown rice and two dals to make this dosa.
Make sure you use unpolished rice and not the regular Basmati; otherwise you will lose out on the health benefits. Unlike regular dosas that use only urad, here we have included a wee bit of chana dal to get a nice crispy texture.
With the appetizing aroma of fenugreek, this dosa is just too good to miss. So, make sure you try it.
Also do try other brown rice recipes like Curd Brown Rice and Roasted Vegetables with Brown Rice .
- Combine the brown rice with enough water in a deep bowl. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
- Combine the urad dal, chana dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
- Wash and drain the brown rice and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1½ cups of water. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside.
- Wash and drain the urad dal- chana dal mixture and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1½ cups of water. Transfer the mixture into the same deep bowl with the brown rice mixture. Add the salt and mix very well.
- Cover and ferment in a warm place for 8 hours.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear a little ghee over it and along the edges and cook on a high flame till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 34 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney and sambhar.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per dosa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.