Home remedies for common cough and cold
Home remedies for common cough and cold. Indian home remedies to cure cough and cold. What's a Common Cold and Cough? A common cold is called so because it's the commonest of all ailments and affects most of us more frequently than any other ailment. Throat irritation and blockage of the nasal passage usually accompanies a cold. It may also be accompanied by a cough which is the secretion of mucus due to infection of the lungs. What causes Cold and Cough? There is no exact reason for the cold and cough. Its causes can vary from an allergy, influenza, sinusitis or a viral infection.
Honey Ginger Tea for Cold and Cough
However the most common reasons are:
• Low immunity
• Exposure to cold or dust
• Other irritating inhalations
Symptoms of Cold and Cough
• Runny nose
• Secretion of mucus
• Throat irritation
Haldi Doodh, Turmeric Milk
4 Home Remedies to Overcome Cold and Cough
Here are some soothing natural remedies that will help keep you smiling through the cold.
1. Vitamin C rich fruits: Vitamin C rich fruits such as oranges, sweet limes, strawberries, lemons etc. are extremely effective in treating and keeping cold and cough away. The high amount of vitamin C in these fruits increases the body's resistance to virus and decreases the duration of the illness. An easy way to enhance your intake of vitamin C is to have Honey Lemon Water. You just need to squeeze a lemon in a glass of warm water, sweeten it with a tsp of honey and drink it twice daily for at least 3 days. Want to indulge in a hot soup that soothes your throat and pleases your taste buds? Then try Lemon and Coriander Soup.
Honey Lemon Water
2. Garlic (lehsun) : Garlic is a real immunity booster. Finely chop 2 to 3 cloves of garlic and swallow it like any other medicine. It can also be used raw into salad dressings.
Crushing a clove of garlic into soups, stews etc. is also effective and greatly enhances their flavour. Garlic Vegetable Soup is a flavourful example of including garlic in your cooking which also pleases your throat.
Garlic Vegetable Soup ( Healthy Heart)
3. Ginger (adrak) : Cut about 10 grams of ginger into small pieces and boil in a cup of water. Strain and drink it while hot. Alternatively add ginger juice to a cup of warm water and drink. You can check out the proportions in Ginger and Lemon Cup. You can add finely chopped ginger and garlic to soups like we have done in Mixed Vegetable Clear Soup.
Ginger and Lemon Cup
4. Turmeric powder (haldi) : Turmeric is most effective in curing throat irritation during colds. Fresh turmeric powder and ajwain (carom seeds) mixed in a glass of warm milk in the form of Ajwain and Turmeric Milk when taken once or twice a day is the most useful curative measure. For those who have an aversion for milk can try it with water. Check the recipe of Warm Honey Lemon Water with Turmeric.
Warm Honey Lemon Water with Turmeric
Foods to be Avoided during Cold and Cough
• Cold beverages, aerated drinks and ice-creams
• Deep-fried foods
• Confectionery and mithai
• Pickles, canned and preserved foods
6 Points to Fight Cold and Cough
1. Consume plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables as they abound in nutrients which strengthen the immune system. Try not to cook the vegetables for a long period as it results in loss of volatile nutrients like vitamins B and C.
2. Drink plenty of fluids (water, vegetable soups and fruit juices) as they help to replenish the fluids lost during the illness. Try Garlicky Beetroot Soup – an easy to make and gratifying appetizer.
Garlicky Beetroot Soup
3. Makes use of fresh herbs to flavour foods. Tulsi ka Kadha and Minty Spicy Lemongrass Milk are some classic age-old recipes which you can rely on.
Minty Spicy Lemongrass Milk
4. Avoid smoking as it aggravates the throat and interferes with the infection-fighting activity of the cells.
5. Take rest and have a good sleep as it gives your body a better chance to fight the virus.
6. Stay away from a dusty environment as that can aggravate the situation.
See our Home remedies for common cough and cold. Indian home remedies to cure cough and cold and other Indian home remedy articles below.
Indian home remedies for most ailments
Indian home remedies for common cough and cold
Indian home remedies for anorexia
Indian home remedies for diarrhoea, loose motion
Indian home remedies for fatigue, tiredness