5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32566 times
A savory steamed leaf roll recipe , authentic patra with arbi leaves rolled with a gram flour or chana dal atta and spice powders is simply mouthwatering. The arbi or colocasia leaf rolls or pattras with a spiced masala filling is sure to win accolades for you.
Add your private note
Patra recipe - How to make Patra
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- Wash the colocasia leaves and keep aside.
- Combine the green chilies and ginger and blend in a mixer till smooth and keep aside.
- Sieve the besan and set aside.
- Make a pulp with the tamarind and the jaggery and keep aside.
- Combine the besan, and the tamarind pulp and mix well and add water to make a smooth thick batter.
- Add the salt, spices and soda bicarbonate and mix well.
- Take one colocasia leaf and place it on the opposite side.
- Spread the batter evenly on the leaf and put another leaf on top of it and spread more batter.
- Fold from both sides and roll tightly. Tie with a thread throughout the length of the roll.
- Repeat the method for the rest of the leaves.
- Steam for one hour in a steamer or in a water bath and keep aside to cool.
- Slice the roll into ½" thick slices and keep aside,
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the patra slices and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander and grated coconut.
This recipe was contributed by sandhyan on 22 Oct 2018
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.