by Tarla Dalal
Added to 75 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53635 times
This is one lip-smacking dal for sure! Cooked with onions, perked up with tomatoes, and spiced with a pungent masala paste, masoor transforms into a sumptuous accompaniment that goes with any main course be it rice , rotis or puri !
Masala Masoor is perfect for parties and special events, when serving simple dals will not be appropriate, or on days when you have time to make just one accompaniment but would like it to be a tad extraordinary so the absence of more dishes is not felt.
- Combine the masoor, white onions, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till they turn translucent.
- Add the prepared ground paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked masoor dal – onion mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.