Last Updated : Nov 04,2017
Viewed 17442 times
Also Known as
Safed Kanda, Safed Pyaaz, pyaaz
These are also well known as Safes Kanda or Safed Pyaaz. These popular cooking onions are often used, since they have a cleaner, tangier flavor than yellow onions.
Chopped white onion
White onions are distinct in flavor, sweet and mild they have a white skin and a brown dried skin. By taking a sharp knife you can peel of the dry skin. Cut the ends and slice the onion in half. Place the flat surface on the chopping board and make vertical and horizontal cuts of ½ "dice.
Grated white onion
White onions are mild in flavor and not pungent. By taking a sharp knife peel of the brown dried outer skin. Cut the ends and slice in half. Using a grater, in an up and down motion rub the onion on the side of the grater, to give finely grated white onions.
Sliced white onion
Select a white onion with a dried brown skin with out blemishes. Using a sharp knife peel of the dried skin of the onion. Cut the hard ends off and slice it in half. Placing the half on a chopping board, run the knife through the onion vertically several times, starting from one end to the other, to produce many slices.
How to Select
Good-quality white onions will be firm, free of blemishes or mold spots and have even-colored, paper-dry skin. Some feel that sweeter onions will be flat-shaped from stem to root-end, not round.
· They impart good flavour to stews, soups, tomato sauces or cooked vegetables - baked or stuffed.
· Include white onions to add crunch and flavor to dressings, relishes, or sauces.
· This onion is used in Mexican foods or complementing the flavors of other ingredients.
· The onion can be sautéed to a dark brown color and served to provide a sweet and sour flavor to other foods.
How to Store
They're slightly more prone to mold than yellow onions, so store them in a dry, well-ventilated place.
· Fat-free, Very low sodium, Source of fiber, High in vitamin C, Cholesterol-free.
· White Onions are equally beneficial for people having high cholesterol levels or suffering from heart disorders
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.