How many calories does one plate of Dahi Puri have?
One plate of Dahi Puri gives 367 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 119 calories, proteins account for 30 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 199 calories. One plate of Dahi Puri provides about 18 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Dahi Puri recipe. dahi puri recipe | dahi batata puri | how to make dahi puri | dahi batata puri street food.
dahi puri recipe is a popular Mumbai street food. Made from deep fried puris which are stuffed with potatoes, moong sprouts, onions, chutneys and then topped with curds. Thats just the first part of making dahi batata puri street food. We further top it with chilli powder, cumin seed powder and then some sev to make the famous dahi puri chaat.
After a round of spicy Pani Puris, eating dahi puri is the perfect way to soothe your palate. "dahi batata puri" are a favourite with children as well as with adults who cannot handle the fiery pani puri.
I show you how to make dahi puri at home as this is far healthier than having it on the street. The quality of ingredients used are of much higher quality and this recipe is not very complicated if you have deep fried puris and chutney on hand.
What makes a Dahi Puri truly divine is obviously the humble curds which are made daily in every Indian household. The curds have to be fresh and chilled and most importantly of the right consistency i.e. neither too thick nor too thin.
Save the semi puffed (half puffed) or damaged puris which cannot be used for serving pani puri to make Dahi Puri.
We show you how to also sprout moong and prepare the red garlic chutney used in dahi batata puri Mumbai street food.
Check out our easy to prepare collection of chaat recipes which has recipes like Khasta Kachori Chaat , Aloo Chaat , Chole Tikki Chaat , Dahi Ragda Chaat and many more.
Is Dahi Puri healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Sprouted Moong ( sprouted whole green gram) : Moong sprouts is a nutri-dense sprout. It’s a good sources of several nutrients like b vitamins, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus. These sprouts are a protein boost. Sprouted moong is beneficial in relieving the symptoms of anaemia by building haemoglobin levels due to its high iron count. The fiber from sprouted moong has also been linked to lower LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) levels, thus decreasing the risk of heart diseases. help to maintain blood pressure and good for pregnancy. See detailed benefits of sprouted moong in moong sprouts glossary.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin in Onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
4. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : Coriander is a fresh herb often used as a flavour enhancer in Indian cooking. It is mainly used as a garnish. This is the best way to use it - no cooking. This preserves its vitamin C content which helps to build our immunity and bring that sparkle to the skin. The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
5. Dates (Khajur) : 1 cup of dates (90 gm) gives around 8.05 gm of fiber and will lower down the cholesterol level and will also aid in weight loss. A cup of dates contain 703 mg of potassium (14.95% of RDA) which helps in the regulation of blood pressure and also prevents formation of kidney stones. Dates have a low glycemic index from 43 to 55 depending on the variety, so they are a boon to diabetics to satisfy their sweet tooth. See details for 8 super benefits of dates.
6. Imli (Tamarind) : Tamarind is good for heart due to the fibre present which has a cholesterol lowering effect. It is also good for diabetics. But too much tamarind is bad for health.
What's the problem?
1. Deep fried foods : This puri is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff. So you have given the cells in your body the right food to stay healthy and that is so important in staying disease free for the rest of your life.
2. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Dahi Puri?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This puri is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process
Can healthy individuals have Dahi Puri?
Not suggested. Opt for a healthier chaat.
Are there any healthy chaat recipes you suggest?
Yes, we suggest the following healthy chaat options like Oats Chaat, Moong Dal ki Chaat, Gajar aur Moong Dal ki Chaat and Paneer aur Hare Chane ki Chaat, low calorie sev puri . All these chaat recipes have no fried foods and made from dals, oats, baked sev, baked papadi and chana which are healthy.
Low Calorie Sev Puri
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss.
Dahi Puri is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 367 calories that come from one plate of Dahi Puri?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 50 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 37 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 49 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1 hr 3 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.