How many calories does one serving of Dahi Idli have?
One serving of Dahi Idli gives 223 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 77 calories, proteins account for 32 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 114 calories. One serving of Dahi Idli provides about 11 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Dahi Idli recipe. dahi idli recipe | thayir Idli | quick South Indian curd idli | with 13 amazing images.
Our dahi idli recipe is made from leftover idlis and is also called thayir idli. Dahi Idli is a perfect evening snack when you have some leftover idli from breakfast.
You could dunk cubes of idli in sambhar or curd, with appropriate tempering and garnishes. We have a recipe of dahi idli which is nothing but left over idlis with curds which have a delightful tempering to it. This lip-smacking dahi idli recipe is easy to prepare and loved by kids.
If you have a mini idli plate, you can prepare this dahi idli with mini idlis instead of idli strips. It will look even more awesome!
Notes and tips to make the perfect dahi idli recipe. 1. For making the dahi idli recipe, in a deep bowl, add the curd. We have whisked the curd before adding to form a smooth idli thayir pachadi. 2. If making fresh idli, then preferably make use of mini idli to make bite sized Dahi Idli (Thayir idli). If you like a crunchy texture, then deep-fry the idlis and then pour the tadkewala curd.
Also do try Mini Idlis in Coconut Sauce and Mini Spinach Idlis recipes.
Is Dahi Idli healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Parboiled Rice (Ukda Chawal) : Parboiled Rice is also known as ukda chawal. The parboiled rice is made with the rice grain soaked, steamed and dried with the hull and finally the hull is removed. In the process of steaming water soluble B Vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin and niacin from the bran integrate into the grain, thus making parboiled rice superior to white rice. A smart option to use parboiled rice effectively would be to combine with a pulse to get a high quality protein. A cereal-pulse combo like in case of idli (parboiled rice with urad dal) would serve as a complete protein comprising of all the 9 essential amino acids that your body requires. And then to make up for the fiber, add veggies to your idli and serve it with coconut chutney. Read is white rice and parboiled rice good for you?
3. Urad Dal : 1 cup of cooked urad dal gives 69.30% of folic acid of your daily requirement of folate. The folic acid in urad dal helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Being rich in Phosphorus it works with Calcium to build our bones, high in fibre and good for heart, good for lowering cholesterol and good for diabetes. See here for 10 super benefits of urad dal.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Dahi Idli?
Yes, this recipe is good for heart BUT in restricted quantity. We suggest for diabetics and weight loss not to have this idli. A smart option to use parboiled rice effectively would be to combine with a pulse to get a high quality protein. A cereal-pulse combo like in case of idli (parboiled rice with urad dal) would serve as a complete protein comprising of all the 9 essential amino acids that your body requires. .They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. Curd helps in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity.
What are the healthier Idli recipes?
See the healthiest idli options like dal and vegetable idli recipe, moong sprouts and palak idli recipe, green moong dal and vegetable idli recipe or barley idli which has no rice. Serve it with a healthy sambar or coconut chutney. Read which idlis and dosas are healthy?
Dal and Vegetable Idli
Healthy Chutney to have
Have this with nutritious green chutney recipe which has ZERO sugar used in it made with mint leaves, onions and coriander, lehsun ka chutney, green garlic chutney or green chutney recipe. Coconut based options are healthy coconut chutney made from coconut and coriander and coconut coriander green chutney for idlis dosa uttapam vada.
Can healthy individuals have Dahi Idli?
One Dahi Idli is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
3. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
4. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
5. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 223 calories that come from one Dahi Idli?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hour 7 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 22 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 30 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 38 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.