8 Health Benefits of Drumstick You Must Know
Cultivated in many parts of India, drumstick finds a special place in South Indian Cuisine. It’s an abosulyely low calorie, low fat, low carb and high fiber vegetable which has many benefits to tis credit. Scientifically it is known as Moringa Olifera and commonly termed as saragvo or saihhan ki phalli. The roots, leaf, seeds, pods and flowers of drumstick are all edible, but the leaves and prods are commonly consumed by most. It’s reasonably nutri-packed and backed with various health benefits.
Key Nutrients of Drumstick that Possess Health Benefits
1. Calorie and Carb Count : Being low in calories and carbs, you can enjoy it in the quantity you want. You need not worry about your waist line while including this vegetable in your daily meal. This will prove beneficial to almost everyone right from a healthy individual who aims for a disease-free life to others who have been diagnosed with some illness.
2. Protein : Like broccoli, drumstick is a vegetable which is a fairly good source of protein (4 g per cup of chopped drumstick). Having a wholesome meal with a good amount of protein works towards :
a. Maintaining cell and tissue health
b. Forming a protective layer for skin and hair
c. Regulating metabolic activities
d. Building antibodies to enhance immunity
3. Fiber : Like most vegetables, drumstick is high on fiber count – 9.2 g which accounts for 30% of fiber requirement per day (RDA is 25 to 30 g). This high fiber spells it touch and helps to manage and prevent many diseases by adding bulk and releasing the sugar slowly into the blood stream. Some of them are listed below:
b. Heart Disease
c. Weight Loss
d. High Cholesterol
e. Improve Digestion
f. Avoid Constipation
4. Vitamin C: This is one key nutrient that drumstick is super rich in. Vitamin C is and antioxidant which performs the following functions in our body:
a. Builds our body’s defense line against infections.
b. Relieves our body from free radicals.
c. Keeps Inflammation at bay.
d. Maintains the elasticity of skin and work towards a wrinkle-free skin.
e. Inhibits allergies of the respiratory tract by destroying allergens.
5. Minerals : Magnesium (44.8 mg / cup) helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium (414 mg / cup), which all work towards promoting muscle and nerve function. They control blood pressure and sustain cardiac health. Phosphorus (176 mg / cup) works closely with calcium to build our bone strength and contribute to maintaining normal heart rate. So these minerals are beneficial to:
a. To build a Healthy Heart
b. Maintain High Blood Pressure
c. Build Strong Bones and teeth
d. Maintain Nerve Function
Nutritional Value of Chopped Drumstick
1 cup of chopped drumstick is about 160 g
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 42 calories
Protein – 4 g
Carbohydrate – 5.92 g
Fat – 0.16 g
Fiber – 9.2 g
See full nutritional details of drumstick in drumstick glossary