Sagu Recipe, Mixed Vegetable Sagu
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 67 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 97603 times
Sagu or Mixed Vegetable Sagu, almost always pronounced in a rush as ‘sagg’ is one of the most ubiquitous accompaniments in Karnataka. It is relished with dosas , rava idlis , puris and chapatis too!
This richly-flavoured vegetable dish is part of their daily menu. Here, a large and vibrant assortment of veggies is cooked with a traditional tempering and flavoured with a special Sagu masala that is made of dry-roasted urad dal and spices.
You can make a batch of this dry spice mix and keep it handy, to quickly conjure up a bowl of Sagu any day you wish to. You will love the appetizing aroma and flavour of this dish, which is also conveniently easy to prepare.
You can also try your hand at other South Indian recipes like the South Indian Stir Fry Rice or Masala Vadas .
- Heat a small pan and dry roast the urad dal on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, add all the other ingredients and blend in a mixer till smooth without using water. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, french beans, green peas, turmeric powder, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared sagu powder and ¾ cup of water, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with fried cashewnuts.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||20.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.