by Tarla Dalal
Added to 85 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29417 times
Jodhpuris are extremely fond of moong dal mangodis, which they cook in a variety of ways. Their food includes a lot of greens, so that is perhaps how this combination came about. Mangodis tossed in a spicy spinach gravy makes a mouth-watering Palak Mangodi subzi. You can make mangodis very easily at home or you can buy them in packets from specialty stores. Moong dal mangodis are more common than urad dal mangodis which are made in some parts of Rajasthan.
- Blend the spinach to a smooth purée in a mixer without using any water. Keep aside.
- Combine the mangodi with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, spinach purée, garam masala, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked mangodis, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
- Approx. 7 cups of chopped spinach will yield 1¾ cups of chopped and blanched spinach.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||4190.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||22.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||92.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.