Last Updated : Mar 19,2021
Viewed 33789 times
Also Known As
Moong dal vadis, Vadis.
What is mangodi, moong dal vadi?
Mangodi is a recipe prepared by soaking any particularly dal in water for 6-8 hours and grinding it in to a paste after adding salt to taste. Make it in to small round shapes and let it dry under the sun for 2 days. The most commonly used dal to make mangodi is the yellow moong dal. Finally the soft dal is crushed either manually or in a grinder machine without adding any water. You may add ginger and green chilli paste along with salt if desired. Any recipe which contains mangodi vadis, require the vadis to be cooked beforehand. You can steam, bake or boil the mangodi vadis to turn them tender or soft.
To crush mangodi wadis, place the mangodis on a clean plastic and wrap with another clean plastic sheet. Now using a rolling pin, crush them into coarse or fine pieces, as per the recipe requirement. You can also store the crushed mangodis in a clean air-tight container. Alternatively, you can also crush them in mixer.
How to select mangodi, moong dal vadi
The mangodi available in market is in the dried form in packets. Check for its freshness by seeing the date of packaging. These are small round shaped, generally cream in color. You can also prepare it at home as discussed above.
Culinary Uses of mangodi, moong dal vadi in Indian Cooking
* Mangodi can be made using any single dal such as moong dal or by combining different dal together such as moong dal, green gram dal and or urad dal.
* Try making great rassedar mangodi aalo using the mandodi.
* Mangodi can also be used in vegetable pulao as one of the ingredients.
* These can be also be used in soups.
* The old traditional methi mangodi is prepared using mangodi and floating methi leaves in it.
* Patli Mangori Rajasthani Panchmela is an accompaniment with sagar ka saag. It is a rajasthani cuisine recipe.
* Different subjis can be prepared using mangori as one of the major ingredients. These include papad mangodi ki subji, mooli mangodi ki subji, palak mangodi ki subji, matar mangodi ki subji, dhaniya mangodi ki subji and many more.
* Tasty mangodi kadhi can be made as an accompaniment with bajra roti or any rice or khichdi prepartion.
How to store mangodi, moong dal vadi
Mangodi vadis are available in packets. Store them in a cool dry place and try to use them at the earliest. You may empty the pack in an air tight steel container or plastic vacuumed container if the pack is opened.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.