Kadala Curry, Kerala Curry for Appam, Puttu and Dosa
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Kadala Curry, Kerala Curry for Appam, Puttu and Dosa in Hindi)
Added to 60 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 71964 times
Spicy and tongue-tickling, this Kadala Curry is a traditional Kerala favourite that has now become well-known throughout the world as the best combination for soft, fluffy Appam !
This sumptuous curry features cooked kala chana pepped up with a coconut-based masala that has a strong flavour of coriander seeds and fennel. A traditional tempering splattered over the curry adds to its rich flavour and aroma.
Enjoy this with freshly-made Appam , Puttu , Dosa or hot rice . Although it tastes best when hot, it remains flavourful even when it cools down, so you can pack it in a tiffin box or even carry over any remainders for dinner .
- Combine the coriander seeds, fennel seeds and pandi chillies in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer along with the coconut and approx. ½ cup of water in a mixer to smooth paste
- Combine the chana, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared paste and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chana along with the water in which they are cooked and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining ½ tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the kashmiri red chilli and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the curry and serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||243.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||14.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||10 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.