Fada ni Khichdi ( Pregnancy Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 143 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 35804 times
A nutritious khichdi made with bulgur wheat, yellow moong dal, vegetables and spices. You will relish this concoction from the second trimester onwards as your appetite will slowly begin to increase and you will also crave to eat tasty food, unlike the first trimester where only mildly flavoured dishes interested you. Bulgur wheat in combination with moong dal and vegetables make this dish rich in carbohydrates, vitamin c, iron and fibre.
- Wash and soak the moong dal and bulgur wheat for at least 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Bring 3½ cups of water to a boil and keep aside.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee in a pressure cooker, adding the cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds, asafoetida and whole black peppercorns and stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the dal and bulgur wheat together with all the other ingredients and stir for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the hot water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape and open the pressure cooker.
- Stir the khichdi vigorously, adding a little hot water if required so that the dal and the bulgur wheat mix well.
- Serve hot with raita or curds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.